Spain has several options to qualify this Wednesday for the semifinals of the Billie Jean King Cup and not all of them go through beating the United States. That scenario would be final, but there are two others in which the National Team would continue in the competition. Despite his triumph against the Americans, Slovakia no longer has options to pass although there is a triple tie in group A because its percentage of games won is less than 50%.
These are the options for Spain:
• Will advance to the semifinals if they defeat the USA.
• Will advance to the semifinals if they lose to the USA 2-1 and win the same number of sets as the USA in the group total (see table).
• Can advance to the semifinals if they lose to the USA 2-1 and win just one set less than the USA in the group total. In this scenario, the classified team will be the one with the highest percentage of games won (see table).
• Is eliminated if they lose to USA 2-1 and win two sets less than USA in the group total (see table).
• Is eliminated if they lose to the USA 3-0.
Possible scenarios if the USA beat Spain 2-1
|Sets USA||Sets Spain||Scenarios|
|4||2||USA to semi-finals|
|4||3||Best percentage of games won|
|4||4||Spain to semifinals|
|5||2||USA to semi-finals|
|5||3||USA to semi-finals|
|5||4||Best percentage of games won|
Slovakia cannot finish first in the group because even in a scenario where all teams end up tied to matches and sets won, it has a percentage of games won less than 50% (64-66), and Spain (37-34) or the USA (29-30 ) will have a percentage greater than 50%.